Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Mantech Proj 02 - SOFTWARE PIRACY IN THE PHILIPPINES

Nowadays, Software Piracy is a common problem in the Philippines.
The original software costs a bundle than the pirated one, that's why the "masa" prefers pirated software even though it's illegal. For me: "Why would I buy an original software that will cost me Php15,000 when I can buy a pirated version of that for P100?! in 'tiangges' ". There's not much difference in terms of quality.

There are times that the pirated software contains malicious programs that may cause damage on your computer i.e. Virus, spyware, malware, adware, trojans, worms etc,or, the cd itself is corrupted.

I did a mini interview of random people, asking them what would they prefer to buy:

A.) An original software or B.) Pirated Version. 90% chose A. Our government has a law on software piracy. Here's the law:

Republic of the Philippines
MALACAÑANG
MANILA

EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 60

CREATING THE INTER - AGENCY COMMITTEE ON INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS

I think, there are some conspiracies on catching people who sell pirated software. I

also notice that these authorities get into action when they are being televised on such

shows like XxX in ABS-CBN or Imbestigador in GMA-7. I dont know what they are doing when the camera isn't on them because software piracy is still a widespread problem. I think, the government needs to do something like ask the companies to lower their software prices or give suitable bonuses when purchasing original softwares.



References: http://www.pctc.gov.ph/laws/s93EO060.htm

No comments: