Sunday, December 9, 2007

Mantech Blog 15 - BASIC NEEDS: Food, Water, Clothing, Shelter and Prepaid Credits?!

Technology evolved and advancements are continuing to pursue itself in the name of competition amongst businesses, compete for the top spot in the market, make a name for itself and gain the trust of the people. I will narrow down my example to the communication business. Communication is important among people wether its personal or for business purposes. Advancements in communication started when the invention of cellphones revolutionized "wireless" communication.


Another few years and SMS or the Short Message Service came to be. It enables you to communicate by using short messages and is affordable by anyone. Invention of multimedia phones came and soon MMS arrived. It enables you to send Multimedia Content to another multimedia enabled phone. It made people happy and soon more cellphone subscribers are growing exponentially. Cellphone companies saw this coming and invented new ways to gobble up a subscriber's load.


Example: They trick people in leaking out their cellphone credits thru "free" subscription. They send a message telling people that they are giving away "free" ringing tone, ringback tone, mms, celebrity textmate etc but at the end of the message, you get to subscription with them for either a P30/week deduction of your prepaid credits. Then, they made the "share-a-load/pasa load" and "Unlimited Texting". It seemed nice but the service is terrible.


There were several times when I tried to share my load but Globe send me that there was something wrong in the system and so I have to try again next time but guess what? They deducted credits even though my transaction wasn't succesful. Another incident in Unlimited texting, Globe failed to text me that my Unlimited texting was over. I have no much problem in Globe's delayed msgs but I can't use Unlimited texting unless they send me a service message telling me that my Unlimited texting was over.


Globe, Smart, Sun, Talk and Text, and Touch Mobile saw the importance of communication, especially in our country. I learned that we're the texting capital of the world and these companies will stop at nothing until we are dry. They invent useless technology but it's up to us to be responsible and choose the right enhancement suited for our everyday lives.

No comments: